The Art of Engaging: Two of the Most Commonly Missed Marketing & Branding Opportunities

 

After 20 years in the wedding and hospitality industries, I have paid for and invested in all sorts of advertising and marketing:  from print, digital, sponsorships, "volunteerships", and more.  Some were necessary "learning curves" that I will never duplicate again;  some were the "necessary evil" to get my name in front of influential individuals and contacts;  but all were an opportunity to  learn more about where I should invest my time and money going forward. 


One of the most valuable lessons I learned in my professional life, I learned from my job as Assistant Public Relations and Events Coordinator for Nordstrom.  The lessons I learned there about the art of engagement were only enhanced by the foundation I'd already had by the way I was raised.   My family was high profile in the community.  They trained me in the art of diplomacy and never to burn any bridges and to consider oneself as an Ambassador  and in service to all.  The most important lesson of all was "to be present and pay attention."  This "art" is based on "old-fashioned" values that transcend technology, but at the same time, can use technology to set off fireworks in branding like never before.

 
To this day, one of the reasons my business thrives from referrals is because of the way I have built relationships over the years.  I invest heavily in the art of paying attention.  This "art" has long replaced heavy monetary investment in formal advertising and marketing and I wouldn't have it any other way.  It's now become part of my branding and USP (Unique Selling Proposition).



When you pay attention, you are paying attention to the human element. You reach out.  You connect.  And in a world that is increasingly disconnected, not paying attention, easily distracted,  stressed-out and in desperate need of the human element, paying attention to engagement and making business personal is fundamental marketing and brand-building at its best.
 
Here are two of the top ways many businesses miss in paying attention to the art of engaging when it comes to maximizing their marketing and branding strategies:



  • Paying Attention: Work Environment for Event Partners or Clients: Staff changes. A new General Manager?  New Director of Sales? Whether it is a personal stop-by, handwritten note, email, token gift, I like them to know I  notice them and reach out and welcome them.  A tragedy or celebration for one of the staff with whom you work or a client?  Reach out in whatever way inspires you.  But do reach out. 

  • Paying Attention:  Social Media:  I follow all my fellow event partners and venues on social media and engage.  Not only is that helping them with their social media algorithms (more engagement means the more likely their business page is seen by fans), but it lets them know I'm interested in their work and that I care (because I do)! Social media makes it uber easy to stay in touch and in front of your contacts from anywhere in the world.  You just have to be consistent and do more than "like" an update or comment. You must contribute conversation-wise from time to time, too.  Just like proper person-to-person etiquette in real life.  A side -benefit is that your name is constantly in front of business-referring partners and it shows you are open for business, alive, and invested.  Who wouldn't want to send you business based on this? 

A note on burning bridges:  the event partner you have mistreated today while they are in one position is the event partner that may replace your beloved contact in another company or venue tomorrow and be responsible for your revenue (or lack thereof).  Always, always treat everyone with the same respect and courtesy.  You certainly can always choose who you want to work with and who you don't want to.  But always be kind and courteous.   People will never forget the way you made them feel. 



Interested in learning more tips and having us address your team or industry group?  Contact us for a speaking engagement or workshop.  Engaging Inspiration provides marketing, strategy, leadership and training for the thinking special event and hospitality professional.

Comments

  1. Being present with clients is so critical. Thanks for reminding us of that important fact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Thank you for your comment and taking the time to engage ... authentically!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! It is being sent to our Administrator for approval and should be posted publicly for all to see shortly. Thanks for joining the conversation!